Monday, January 24, 2005

Vegas, I Hate You or My Life in Rose (and Orange)

Yesterday evening, I got home from a weekend in Vegas. I went out there to attend a friend's wedding. It was the first time I've stayed in Sin City (or is that the nickname for LA?) for more than 24 hours. By hour 25, I felt a blood-boiling hatred for the whole sordid place. All the stupid blinking lights, the constant numb ringing, the old people smoking and waiting to die while pumping rigged machines full of filthy lucre. I even felt myself wishing the whole desert stain would go up in smoke--with everyone cleared out first, of course.

Right when I got home I checked my email and got a message from a good friend telling me that he wants to spend his birthday in Vegas and would Dylan and I come, yay? I felt like Jude Law in the scene in I Heart Huckabees where he barfs a little in his hand just thinking about telling that Shania Twain/tuna fish story once again (this makes sense if you've seen the movie).

But here's what I really want to talk about. The other night when I was at Footsies, the same night that the Old Crusty Mexican Prostitute visited our fair establishment, I got an idea... and now that I want to procrastinate my work, specifically transcribing a tape, I will write about said idea.

The idea started this way: I was getting a little drunk and staring at the lights on the liquor shelves. The light was hot pink, and it made the whiskey glow a hot-amber-pink, and I found myself feeling friendly towards this light, like it was a kindred spirit. Not because it was light, but because of its color. This got me thinking about my relationship to pink.

The other day I was shopping at a clothing store that my good friend Amanda works at. She showed me a stack of long-sleeved t-shirts and said, Why don't you try this one? It was this really delicate pale pink and at first glance I thought, no, too girly, but Amanda convinced me to try it. In the dressing room, I realized that the reason I didn't want to wear this shirt was because I had liked that specific shade of pink a lot in junior high and I considered myself "beyond" it now.

I ended up buying the shirt because I thought it looked good on me. And I realized how silly it is to think you're beyond a specific combination of UV rays or whatever color technically is (colorists, speak up!). The shirt gave me a nice little glow and it looks good with black eyeliner, makes it looks a little tougher, I think. Now it's my favorite shirt.

I dare everyone to buy something soon in a color that they "hate," or have parted ways with. See how it works out. You might be suprised.

I used to detest the color orange. I always associated it with drab 70s-era educational institutions, those awful scoop chairs with the metal brackets underneath for your books. It didn't help either that my high school's colors were orange and blue (same as this website, now that I've noticed), and every bozo frat fucker wore blue and orange every Friday for extra credit. (Quick aside: What the fuck is that anyway? Extra credit for wearing two colors??) Anyway, the person who changed my relationship to orange was my old friend and roomate Maggie. Seeing it through her eyes when we were about 18 or 19, I realized that orange is thrilling and unexpected, kitschy and spicy. We painted our mantle orange, and much of the trim in the living room; we stubbed out our cigarettes in an old orange ashtray shaped like a boomerang. There are many things that I would thank Maggie for showing me, but the special, secret qualities of orange would be close to the top of the list.

5 Comments:

Blogger Winky Stanofowick said...

Are you commenting on the orange school chairs I have in my back living room with the metal racks underneath them? If you hate my furniture Margaret just tell me, I'll get rid of it.
I now feel compelled to go buy a purple shirt, haven't been a fan of the color in a long time. Maybe just maybe I'll have the same experience.

I hate Vegas!

1:45 PM  
Blogger Victoria said...

I love the way Ms. Maggie sees things..
Hey M. You go through phases. Oddly all of this is very accurately predicted by this small group of people who meet four times a year to forcast which direction color will take for clothes/interiors etc. I hate them. House of Dum's favorite color was always orange, even when he was little. I too have some plastic orange school style chairs (his). Ugly. That's why I love them. And those people (can't remember the name of the association) predicted that, too.. I want that job.

2:21 PM  
Blogger Margaret Louise said...

Eh, I don't hate those chairs anymore, but I did when I was in high school. So you don't have to get rid of it, Winky. Aren't I generous?
Yeah, I would love to have one of those jobs where I just lay around and decide what colors will be cool next year. And you're right, V, about it going in stages. I used to love the color olive green, the kind of green they use for army fatigues but now it looks so grunge (shudder) to me.

3:50 PM  
Blogger Margaret Louise said...

Baby blue? You don't like it? I was just thinking about it Sunday and I might even paint my studio walls that color (yeah, I got a studio, I'm gonna write about that soon). I didn't always like it though.

I don't really know about the celebrity death thing, and yes, I've also questioned when the trio begins and ends. Maybe Johnny Carson is the beginning of one? I think it's just whenever you notice one, you wait to see who will be the next two.

4:12 PM  
Blogger Blog ho said...

I am embolded to read this to tell you all that my new favorite pants are brown cords and i particluarly like to wear them with my orange shirt, but I also have a paisley "hippie" shirt which makes me look like I actually am a hippy. which i don't care for because if I had to catagorize myself it would be...woodsman. Greek woodsman. But I always hated brown. And cords.

4:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home