Monday, February 21, 2005

R.I.P. Hunter S. Thompson

I am not one of those rabid Hunter S. Thompson fans by any means. In fact, I've always found HST fans one of the more annoying varieties of writer-fans in existence. Almost always, the HST fan is a decently attractive white guy who's either physically in his mid-twenties, or spiritually/mentally/emotionally, forevermore, in his mid-twenties. Either way, he's typically 26, likes to drink and smoke a lot, likes to write about SHOCKING TOPICS like his masturbation habits or his abominable behavior with the female gender, and secretly prizes himself as being a very deep person because he occasionally spends an evening crying in bed, or he's scared of his father, or he actually actively regrets fucking over some poor virgin, etc. Anyway, he has feelings too! It goes without saying that lots of self-loathing is involved, and though he's never had a lost weekend in the desert with peyote, he sometimes tells strangers he has, and that it changed his life, man.

Yeah, you know one of these guys, or you've seen him walking down the streets of Wicker Park/Echo Park with a real sad-sack puss on for no fucking good reason, in his black t-shirt and headphones.

Anyway, I could rip on this type all day, but for all my cynicism, I'd be lying if I said I haven't been attracted to this type from time to time. It's hard, especially when you're physically/spiritually/mentally/emotionally in your mid-twenties, not to get caught up in this young man's particular vortex, as swollen with self-aggrandizement as it is. It's hard not to want to step into the center of it and see how much of it you can push away, if any.

That said, I still find the HST guy pretty annoying, right up there with rabid Tarantino fans circa 1995, and God Help Us All, fans of Ani DeFranco, anytime between 1994 and now. It's OK if you are a fan of either of those people--I liked Tarantino then and I generally do now--but I'm talking about worshipful, emulating, fan-people whose whole personalities get transfixed and then appropriated wholesale, entirely consumed by the 24/7 activity of LOVING AND BEING so-and-so. I'm talking about THOSE people. Like, don't even get me started on the guy I had in one of my writing classes at Columbia College who wrote a story about a jewelry heist and all the characters were named Mr. [fill in something wacky] and they all laid around discussing banalities till someone came in shooting a AK-47 to the strains of not kitschy-good classic rock, but this kid's awful, hapless and sickeningly unoriginal prose.

So when I read this morning that Hunter S. Thompson, at the age of 67, shot himself fatally with a shotgun and that his wonderfully named son Juan found him, I sighed a very complicated sigh. After I got over the simple, joyous fact that Hunter had a son named Juan (c'mon, it's so perfect! So West!), the reality of this suicide set in.

Not long ago, a month or so before the reelection, Thompson wrote a piece for Rolling Stone. It was nice to see his name in there--it had been a while. In junior high, when I first subscribed to RS, the two politcal writers who I remember most were Hunter S. and PJ O'Rourke. I would read their articles, but I was too young to catch a lot of the innuendo and the exact meaning of their contrary, spiky attitudes. As I got older, I think I understood Hunter much better, though I still found his trumpeting tiring, and almost always self-indulgent.

But here was this article before the election that was all about what an idiot Bush was/is and how America will surely send him packing. It was one of the most hopefully rowdy pieces of incendiary writing I'd read in a while. Thompson was so certain, so confident that America was better than this hack they'd barely elected last time, that his enthusiasm became a sort of emotional cornerstone in my own very resolute feelings that Bush's time had come. Though I don't recall articulating it to anyone, whenever I doubted that Kerry would win, Thompson's essay was on the short list of things I'd think about to comfort myself.

Turned out, obviously, that Thompson and I were wrong. Though in a way, I think we were both right, despite the statistics. The only thing that dragged us down was this small but sagging middle, this collective of people who didn't vote or didn't vote our way because, as the saying goes, you can't have a revolution on a full stomach.

Thompson is dead, but I'm glad that after years of reading him and disagreeing with him, after years of feeling like maybe he was even sexist or just a mega-asshole with no redeemable qualities, after years of rolling my eyes at his fan-boys and occasionally against my better judgement, kissing some of those fanboys, that the last thing I read by him before his death, I completely and happily ate up. I smeared it all over my spirit like some kind of salve. His essay wasn't just entertainment-- it was emotional fortitude. It's like Thompson and I held hands for one brief but important moment before all that self-loathing cut him off from this world, up and away from me and everyone else who loved him better and longer than I ever could.

10 Comments:

Blogger Winky Stanofowick said...

Dang Margaret!

Will you write my first book The Changing of the Gard?

I had no idea HST shot himself.

I'm going to go run amuck on the news side of the internet now.

3:13 PM  
Blogger Margaret Louise said...

I'm still working on "Are You There, Gard? It's Me, Margaret Louise." But once that's done, I'll get to "The Changing of the Gard." I think it'll be the sexy sequel.

Yeah, crazy, huh? I seriously think Bush's re-election may have been one more thing that pushed him to the edge.

3:27 PM  
Blogger Winky Stanofowick said...

Ya' it's crazy.

Are you there Gard, I's me Margaret.. prize winner. Can you, please, really write that book. Why is it so funny to me?

3:44 PM  
Blogger Margaret Louise said...

By God, I should write that book. I've loved it for so long now... maybe I should write an homage to it.

5:14 PM  
Blogger Winky Stanofowick said...

How's the new studio working out? I want to come see it. Maybe this week or next or the one after that.

10:20 AM  
Blogger Margaret Louise said...

Aw, thanks Thoresen. That's nice of you to say. Yes, Inner Town is rife with the Hunter boys. The fact that you've read a book by Hunter is more than I can say--I've only read a few chapters here and there of Fear and Loathing. It seemed pretty entertaining but I kind of felt like I'd be tired of it by the end. Anyway, it's really not about him but his g-damn fans.
With Ani Difranco, sigh.... she really is fighting the good fight but her music is sort of embarassing. There's just no subtlety there. I can see why people like it though. It's very heartfelt. Maggie once put a song of hers on a mixtape, and I admit that it grew on me over time but I could also tell that a whole album of it would've made me barf in my pants.

11:30 AM  
Blogger Margaret Louise said...

Oh, that's weird that the wipers guy and the crash-test dummy guy died close together.
I'm not sure about other notables dying in 3s, but I would consider it anyone who has household name value. Like Hunter S. may not be known by everyone like JOhnny Carson but he's definitely a household name.
Did you read that Hunter also killed himself while on the phone with his wife AND he'd been talking about doing it for months AND his family and a few close friends gathered around his corpse and drank Chivas Regal on the rocks, his favorite drink, as a farewell? Yeah, WHOA.

1:39 PM  
Blogger Margaret Louise said...

Yeah, that quote of hers about the final decision. Amazing! It's really touching.
Did not know she's only 32. Though that makes perfect sense.
You cannot fault a person, I guess, for "wanting to go out while on top," but it seems like a pretty narrow view of things, doesn't it? Even if his career were to decline from here on out, there are other things...

5:43 PM  
Blogger You've Got What I Need... said...

Hello... My name is YGWIN, and I'm a first timer here. I'd just like to say that I am an enthusiastic fan of your writing... but not in a, "rabid Tarantino fans circa 1995, and God Help Us All, fans of Ani DeFranco, anytime between 1994 and now" kind of way.

Phew, thank GOD for that, eh?

8:08 PM  
Blogger Margaret Louise said...

Hey YGWIN, that's really sweet, thanks. Glad you're not the rabid fan variety. Then I'd have to, like, totally cut you off.

Oh, and BTW, I want to party with your sister, the one who hoses off in front of young farmhands. Is she real?

2:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home